Wednesday, March 26, 2008

My Favorite Time of the Year

Christmas has always been my favorite time of the year. I’m happier, more excited – and it’s not entirely because of all the vacation days in December. I’ve given this some thought and realized the reason I love Christmas so much is it’s that time of year when our family comes together.

Like a lot of Filipino families, ours is spread across 2 continents. Half of us live here in the Philippines, and the other half is in the states. It’s been this way pretty much since I was 15 (and that’s a looong time ago!)

Our family marks the passing of the years with 2 milestones – Summer (when those of us on the Manila side go to the US for the summer) and Christmas (which is the other way around).

Being the sibling with limited financial resources (unfortunately!), the Summer milestone usually passes me by. And that brings me back to Christmas – a crazy time that goes by in a happy blur – trips to and from the airport, endless “welcome home” and “happy trip” dinners, hours spent sitting around, talking, eating (gaining pounds) and just catching up. Last Christmas was extra special, because for the first time in 10 years, everyone made it home.

I read something interesting about
long distance relationships –how technology bridges the distance with IM, VOIP, webcams and so on – but in the end there’s no substitute for seeing people you really care about, walking up to them, and giving them a big hug.

No comments: